Soulstice Spa Blog
Embracing Change in your Massage Experience June 06 2016
When it comes to massage therapy, your rapport with your Massage Therapist is a meaningful part of your overall experience. In order to fully relax - both mentally and physically - it's important to feel at ease and place trust in your therapist. Each individual therapist brings their own unique skills to the table, but they also bring their own energy, personality and communication style as well. It is our job at the reception desk to try to match each client to the very best therapist for them on any given day - this massage matchmaking is perhaps the most important part of our job!
Sometimes a perfect match is made on the very first visit; other times it might take a bit more 'shopping around' and trying different therapists and massage styles. Once a client really 'clicks' with a particular therapist, they frequently prefer to request that therapist for all of their future visits. For weeks or months, the client will love coming in, typically seeing amazing progress on whatever issues originally led them in --- their rotator cuff shows greater mobility, their knee is less inflamed, their sciatica flare has disappeared --- until hopefully the issue is completely resolved.
This is ideal, but it also might mean you're ready for a new massage therapist!
When we are growing, we are changing... and with those changes come changes in our individual bodywork needs. For example, the physical issues that originally led you to massage therapy may now be much improved, but now you're experiencing anxiety or mental stress more than physical pain. While all massage therapy will benefit you, each therapist has different strengths and excels at working with different types of people and issues. One therapist might be a wizard with neck work, while another is magical with migraines. As your body and mind change over time, so may your needs and therapist.
How do you know when it's time for a change??
If you've been receiving regular massage from the same therapist, over time you may experience feeling in a rut, a plateau or strange disconnect from your therapist. You may not leave feeling the same euphoric feeling you have left with in the past. You usually won't be able to quite put your finger on why, but you may have an innate feeling that your body needs to mix it up or try something new. More often than not, your therapist is feeling it too!
If you have been experiencing a lot of transition and change in your life, our goal as therapists is to meet you where you are in any given visit. Many of our clients worry that if they want to try a new therapist that they may hurt the feelings of their current therapist - you won't! Our therapists understand that people's needs change over time... Moreover, our therapists work as a team, respect each other's talent immensely, and encourage clients to experience the unique skills and healing touch that everyone brings to the table. The goal for all of us at Soulstice is for you to get the perfect care you need as your body, mind and spiritual needs grow and shift over time. If you need help, our caring reception team is here to help your bodywork and massages reflect the needs of evolving you... See you soon!
Let Freedom Ring! ~ Mind, Body + Spirit May 29 2016
Massage Brain. Massage Daze. Spa Stupor. We jokingly call it many things, but the contented, blissed-out state that our clients emerge from their sessions in are an important opportunity to soak up all the amazing benefits of massage.
A great massage reorganizes your senses and brings you into touch with your body. It's not unusual during the course of a massage to be surprised by how tight or stressed certain parts of your body really are... Likewise, you may suddenly feel neural sensations or energetic connections from one part of your body to another, leading you to feel a brand new sense of wholeness. As overworked muscles and knots are unwound, your entire body will shift to accommodate this newfound sense of freedom and ease of movement. Once your focus shifts from the processing, thinking, analytical mind and deepens into the physical, intuitive, heart-centered realm of the body, you will experience what it means to really be "in your body." At times and for some, this sensation can occasionally be a disconcerting feeling.
Touch, more than any other sensation, holds the key to bringing us into greater physical awareness and wholeness. It's that head-to-toe warm fuzzy feeling you feel when holding a brand new baby, snuggling your beloved pet, or while in the embrace of an amazing kiss. Most of us dwell in our minds most of our waking hours - thoughts of the past, present and future flow together in an unending stream. Touch can lead us deeper, beyond the plane of mental chatter, and open us physically, mentally and spiritually.
All of the positive effects of massage - enhanced mobility and range of motion, freedom in your joints and tissues, a spacious and peaceful mind, a calm, contented heart - will be prolonged if you can create space following your session.
Whenever possible, schedule special free time to follow your massage where you may continue to feel and experience these shifts and changes. Give yourself space, freedom and time to absorb and integrate the transition. Here are some tips from our team of therapists:
1. If you live near the coast or a body of water, plan a gentle stroll nearby. Natural elements - water, soil, sand - soothe and calm the spirit. Being outdoors in nature, catching some natural sunlight and fresh air will nurture your massage's effects.
2. Don't. Do. Anything. The best thing you can do is just, well, be. Take a few minutes to sit and remain in a state of non-thinking. Listen to your breath. View the clouds, the trees, the landscape and just feel.
3. Ground yourself. The sensation of truly being in your body and feeling at a deeper level can leave you feeling out of sorts, confused and unable to think clearly. It's a great time to kick off your shoes and ground yourself to the earth, perhaps in your garden or a nearby park.
4. Schedule at least an hour of nothing after your massage. No phone calls, no meetings, no tv or reading. Just let your mind remain in the "off" position a little longer.
5. Embrace silence. Feeling fully in your body will make you feel whole and complete in a way you may have never felt before. The more you're grounded within yourself, the less outside stimulus you will need to feel fully - colors will be more vibrant, tones will be richer, feelings will be deeper. Enjoy the new level of internal sensitivity that comes with quieting your external surroundings.
Our "Best" Massage Therapist March 29 2016
“So, who is your best therapist?”
Our “best therapist.” As the founder of Soulstice Spa, I get asked this question pretty often, and it still makes me smile nearly four years after we opened in Santa Rosa with just four therapists. We didn’t have a “best” therapist then, and today with over two dozen therapists in two locations… we still don’t!
In our competitive and achievement-oriented society we like to rate and rank, well, just about everything. As kids we’re awarded stickers and stars, then given grades and ribbons… As adults we’re conditioned to judge people by their degree, their alma mater and their title, as if these things signify meaning, value, or importance. We weigh, we analyze, we think-think-think. We’re influenced to look for superficial markers of success and stamps of approval – degrees from top-rated schools, certifications for all kinds of specialties, and an assumption that things that cost more are better and more worthwhile. The problem with all of this weighing and ranking and thinking is that it gets in the way of what the human experience is all about = being and feeling in the present moment. It’s impossible to go deeply within, relaxing the body and opening the heart, while constantly judging the external with our thinking mind.
Individuals come to massage therapy for all kinds of reasons… Some reasons are physical (pain, discomfort, range of motion limitations and muscular knots) some are mental (stress, overstimulated nervous systems, anxiety) while others seek a spiritual connection (deeper self-awareness, connection, healing.) There is no one “best” therapist because what is “best” will be different for each and every person, and it will change over the course of one’s lifetime.
Traditionally and historically, spas have offered a menu of services where guests can choose between types of massage like Swedish, sports massage or deep tissue. It’s more about the process, and less about the person. A client’s choice from a menu tells us a little bit about their preferences in a massage, but is only one page of a larger, more important story. We have a different philosophy at Soulstice: we listen and focus on the type of massage each client is seeking, but we also want to know who you are. We strive to create an experience that addresses how you feel, not only what you think. And for each person this is going to be unique, personal and vary in any given moment.
How do we learn who is the “best” therapist for you? By listening. You can help us learn what and who is best for you by giving us time with you and sharing a bit of yourself with our caring staff. We believe massage therapy has a special, meaningful role in everyone’s life. To be silent, still and connected to another person who has no intention other than to provide you with caring, healing and love is a special thing. We can provide you with your best experience – and the “best therapist” for you – the better we know the authentic you. Thank you for trusting us to care for you… mind, body and spirit!
Finding Your Perfect Massage Match! March 01 2016
An important part of what makes an amazing massage therapy experience is having a wonderful rapport and connection with your therapist. Each of our therapists at Soulstice is unique and brings his or her own individual skills, training and background to the table. We embrace the diversity of our team, encourage them to be themselves and support them in customizing their massages for each client.
Our fantastic reception team excels at matching each customer to the perfect therapist according to their needs. They are trained to ask questions… What type of pressure do you prefer for your massage? Are you seeking therapeutic bodywork for a specific physical pain, or looking for a more relaxing experience? Are there any modalities that you especially love, such as shiatsu or reflexology? A basic understanding of the type of massage you enjoy provides our team with the minimum information we like to have while booking your first massage with us.
Just as important though, our team wants to know how you hope to feel and gauge your expectations for your visit. Are you experiencing a great deal of stress and need to calm your nervous system? Are you feeling low energy and hope to leave uplifted and revitalized? Are your back and hips locked up from sitting in a desk chair and need to be unwound? Each of our therapists excels at easing different mental, physical and emotional conditions, and we encourage our customers to communicate with our team in order to get the best result.
Here are a few hints and tips to help you receive your best massage ever!
- Take your time when booking your introductory massage at Soulstice. Please don’t rush through booking your appointment, book while driving or multi-tasking, or book your first appointment over email. We can do our best job of matching you if you give us an ability to get to know you, please do!
- Cushion your massage time with special “you” time… If possible, please don’t pack your massage day to the gills so you’re rushing into your massage or racing out the door afterwards. The benefits of your massage will be enhanced exponentially if you arrive early and have time to unwind, relax and clear your head before your session. Afterward, give yourself some space to soak up all the amazing vibes you just received, hydrate your body and ease back into the world.
- Give us some time to get to know you! We care about our customers very much, and want you to have the best experience possible. Let us get to know you both over the phone as well as during your visit. If you can come in a bit early, please do! Our reception team enjoys getting to know you, learning about your work and lifestyle, and hearing about your hopes and expectations for your massage. The better we know you, the better we can create a great experience for you.
- If you’re booking a massage for a spouse or loved one, please keep in mind that they may enjoy an entirely different type of massage than you do. In the case of many couples, one of you may adore very deep tissue work while the other prefers a gentler, nurturing touch. Whenever possible, we love to speak directly to the person receiving the massage to ensure we’re matching them with their ideal practitioner.
- For your best massage match, please give our team some time and flexibility by booking in advance. All of our therapists are amazing in their own way, but it is likely there are a select few that will be the absolute best matches for your needs. When you book last-minute, it limits our options for you. We understand that life is busy, but give this gift to yourself. By giving us some lead time and allowing us to listen carefully to your preferences, we can create a special experience just for you.
We look forward to caring for you soon!