Soulstice Spa Blog
Foil the Flu this Season! October 24 2013
Regular massage therapy is a wonderful way to boost and prime your immune system as we transition into the fall season, a time when cold and flu germs abound. Massages reduce stress, relax the body and mind, and restore balance. They improve circulation and stimulate the lymphatic system. Finally, they help flush toxins from the body and create a sense of space, lightness and freedom of movement.
When you're stressed, the body's adrenals are in a constant fight-or-flight state and expend energy in an effort to manage your stress reaction. By alleviating stress, you keep your body strong and better able to fight off bugs and infections. Combined with plenty of purified water, deep tissue or Swedish massages enhance detoxification and balance in all the body's systems.
Other ways to keep your body strong and healthy:
- Minimize or avoid sugar altogether... instead, substitute stevia, a plant-based sweetener
- Break a sweat! Cardiovascular exercise raises endorphin levels and, like massage therapy, relieves stress.
- Wash hands regularly and often.
- Avoid crowds, especially if you're feeling run-down or tired.
- Drink extra water. It can be harder to remember to consume as much water as we need during the colder winter months, but it's particularly important now, especially when we might be drinking more coffee or tea to keep warm. Carry a large water bottle to work to help monitor your water intake.
- Get plenty of vitamin C and Bs - these antioxidants help fight off infection and keep the adrenals strong.
- Consume leafy greens, lemon water and/or apple cider vinegar daily to alkalize the body
Finally, get plenty of deep, delicious shut-eye each night! Give your body and mind all the rest they need during the darker, damp months. You may find yourself falling asleep earlier at night... or perhaps needing more hours of sleep than usual. The body has its own deep wisdom and wants you to thrive and be healthy - listen to it!